Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Very Disturbing Dreams :(

These past few nights I have been having really disturbing dreams. If the following description of my dreams is going to give you nightmares or upset you then just stop reading now. For real. They are sick and horrifying to think about...but this is MY blog where I get to let out what I need to say. I'm warning you. I just feel like I need to write them down somewhere and get them out of my head before they make me crazy. I wake up in the mornings and recall the dreams and they really eat at me and mess with my head. They make me sad and sick and basically just ruin the start of the day.

The first dream, well...I can't remember how it started, but basically my family had Mackenzie's body wrapped up in a sheet. We unwrapped her and it was obvious she'd been dead a while because her skin was just falling off all over. We were trying to clean her up and we washed away the skin with a water hose (we were outside). Then my mom was trying to get a piece of grass or something off of her face but ended up peeling a piece of the skin off of her face, too. My mom started to get really upset but I was calm. I told her it was ok...let's just keep cleaning her up. There was a bin of clothes and I decided to pick out an outfit for her to be buried in and while looking in the bin I remembered the closet of hers...full of clothes...and I decided I wanted to go look there. I wanted everyone who saw her to think she looked beautiful. Then my mom reminded me that we already had her funeral quite a while ago...and that no one would be there this time when we buried her. I just really wanted people to be there. I really wanted to make her look beautiful for everyone to see. And that's all I remember...

Last night I dreamed I was pregnant with our second baby (the one we lost due to the recent ectopic pregnancy...who I secretly call Skyler and refer to as a boy b/c that's what I think it was) and that, like Mackenzie, Skyler had died and I had to give birth to him anyways. Only it was obvious that I wasn't very pregnant. It was just like my ectopic pregnancy only instead of surgery I had to deliver him naturally. I delivered him at my house and he looked like a little tiny tiny tiny baby...but definitely a baby. Not just a little round thing like in the pictures I have. I held him and he was very white, not discolored like Mackenzie had been. I thought he looked perfect and I just held him and admired him. I wanted to show him off to my mom but she wasn't coming quickly enough so I went to get here and left Skyler there. Before I found my mom I had some paramedics check me to see if the placenta came out too and it hadn't so they delivered that real quick. Then I went back to find my mom. When I found her I told her to come see him and that he was so beautiful. I also told her I wanted to dress him up in an outfit with a hat and socks, too since I didn't get to dress Mackenzie. She told me she'd hidden all the clothes when Mackenzie died so I wouldn't see them and be sad and that she'd have to get them out but that it would take a while. I was so annoyed and I told her that by that time he wouldn't look this way anymore and that he would be purple and discolored from being dead so long. It still took her forever to get the clothes out, but then I picked out the outfit, hat, socks, and diaper and took them to where I had left him. It was only then that I realized that all of these things were infinitely too big for him. He was like the size of a Barbie doll...this wasn't going to work but I was going to try anyways. When I went to where he was I couldn't find him and my husband told me they'd already buried him. I was pissed. I didn't get to dress Mackenzie and I didn't get to see her before they buried her so I was not going to let them take that from me with Skyler so I had them dig up his coffin. Not only did they dig up his, but they dug up Mackenzie's too. They opened the lid to her coffin and I was surprised at how much better she looked than I'd excepted only they had put a wig on her that was ridiculous and I was really confused at why they would have done that. I was going to go ahead and put a hat on her as well, but I decided to just leave her as she was. I tried putting the clothes on Skyler but of course they were outrageously too big so I just wrapped them around him. Instead of having them bury Skyler and Mackenzie separately again, I had them place Skyler in the coffin with Mackenzie because I thought they'd like that. When they went to situate them together Mackenzie's legs were moving and it was just freaky. I knew even then that she wasn't alive but it was weird that she was moving anyways. And that's pretty much all I remember of that dream...

So they're sick, right??? WHY am I having these dreams??? The dreams do have truth to them. Mackenzie did have a circle of skin missing from her right cheek when she was born. It was like that when they handed her to me though. It's not like we did that to her or anything. I did not dress Mackenzie while I had her in my arms. She was wrapped in the hospital blanket but I never dressed her because in my shock it did not occur to me to do so. I also did not see her in her coffin because my parents told me they thought I should remember her the way she looked in the hospital and that she looked really different and not like herself and I agreed (in the shock I was in at the time). I'm so sick of having these dreams. I live my daily life knowing she's dead and that she's buried...why do I need to face it in my dreams, too??? Especially in the morbid way of seeing her body in that condition...in and out of a coffin??? Can I not have the luxury of dreaming of her alive or at the very least not dream of her at all? When I'm awake I can control my thoughts and not let my mind wander to those sorts of things. When I'm asleep my mind is out of control. I don't even know why I'm having these dreams all of the sudden. Nothing has happened to spark this kind of insanity. Am I the only lunatic having these horrible dreams about their precious children?

:::sigh:::

12 comments:

  1. I don't know why we have these dreams. I dream a lot of things before they happen, actually. I dreamt of my dad's death about 6 months before he even got sick and I dreamt about losing Ella about 10 weeks into the pregnancy.I haven't had any dreams about Ella or what happened, yet. I'm so sorry you're having such vivid dreams. I'm sure it's because you've seen and dealth with more than any person should ever have to. I wish for a peaceful night's rest for you. It's no wonder you're up so late, right? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry the dreams are upsetting you.. I feel like with wanting to dress Mackenzie and for people to see her is very true to just wishing you could show her off as your baby.. and I feel like seeing Skyler (I LOVE that you named him) as a full beautiful body is just proof that he IS a real baby. So like I said, I'm sorry it is so upsetting, but I'm still glad you shared it. I also love love love love that they were buried together in your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you are haivng these dreams. I have been going through the same thing, every night, for a month now. They leave your brain and heart spinning in the morning and it feels like everything just happened again. *hugs* I think it's wonderful they were buried together in your dream. Maybe that just means they are together now in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some insight to what it all means. I think even when we our sleeping our minds are still very aware of the hurt we live with. Hoping for peaceful nights for you very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry my last post posted weird. What a hard thing to be going through. I'm not a doctor, but I think it is your subconscious working through all of it. When I was studying to be a nurse they told us that when you suffer a big loss that is the last part to come out of the shock. Your subconscious is trying to figure out why this happened and how to put that to rest. I hope I make sense. Do you regret not dressing her or seeing her in her casket? Guilt could a part of why it has taken off again. You did what you needed to do at that time to cope with the situation. Don't feel bad about anything you did or didn't do. You did just the right thing! You are a strong woman and with time these dreams too will fade. Stay strong and if you need to talk fell free to email me. jymr05@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had some pretty weird dreams too. I dont really remember them thats the good thing about having a really bad memory. Most of my bad dreams were before i had my boys. I i had a few really bad dreams that they had died while i was giving birth and that i just kept giving birth to more until there was an alive one. It was really weird, but i have also had dreams/ nightmares since their birth but i think that most of themhave been about me being pregnant with them. My boys had quite a bit of skin missing.

    I love the name Skyler.And i love that you named him.
    I hope that these dreams stop and that you can have happy dreams of both of your precious babies
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you and wishing you sweet dreams instead of disturbing ones :( Hugs, Nan xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only had one dream of Carleigh but it wasn't a horrific one. I'm not sure why you're having such terrible dreams but I hope that you quit having them or they turn into better ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to say hi and tell you someone was thinking about you.

    Hope you are doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear that you are having these dreams that are disturbing you so much. But rest assured that these are very common( I have talked with many and helped facilitate a bereavement support group) , especially given that you state that you control your thoughts during the day and do not allow your mind to go there. It also sounds as though you made some snap decisions ( as we all must) that you wish you could change( again your not alone). So it could be that this is coming out in your subconscious as you sleep and are unable to control it. Have you talked to anyone( face to face) about these dreams and any regrets that you may feel you have? Perhaps this would help you get your feelings out and be able to rest at night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. no, these dreams are not sick, i think they are normal... for us, anyway. too often it seems that we have these awful dreams, and not enough of the good dreams of our babies. as usual, not freaking fair. Leila also had a lot of skin peeling off and it hurt me so much to see her that way. you never think about it (cuz who would) but people deteriorate quickly postmortem. facing that, seeing her in that state still haunts me.
    i hope you have more peaceful sleep...
    much love,
    christy

    ReplyDelete