Monday, August 10, 2009

How sad

I just got home from work and I just have to get this off my chest (although for Leila's Mommy this story might be a repeat).

Today my boss and some other managers were eating lunch in my office (shared with 4 other people) and she began talking about her newest grandchildren. Her daughter had twins (a boy and a girl) a month before Mackenzie was due. She told everyone how one of the little boy's ears was bent down a little and she was going on and on with "isn't that SO SAD?!" and "I think he should get plastic surgery to make it look better." She went on for what seemed like an eternity about how absolutely sad it was that her grandson had an imperfect ear (and I've seen pictures...no one would even notice). Finally I had to leave the room.

I just cannot comprehend how someone can sit in the same room as me and act as if a slight imperfection on a baby's ear is a tragedy.

I could have told her about how Mackenzie had a spot bigger than a quarter on her right check that was raw looking because her skin had already started to come off. Or how there were several other similar places on her little chest and torso, too. I could have told her that Mackenzie's head was indented from the birthing process and because no blood was flowing up there. I could have told her how I watched Mackenzie's face begin to crumple in on itself the longer I held her.

I didn't say anything though. Frankly, I probably couldn't.

These people don't even know what "sad" is. And most of the time I'm glad they don't because I wouldn't wish baby loss on anyone. But sometimes it's hard being inside my head. I'm ALWAYS thinking about Mackenzie. Everything anyone says is filtered through my brain and always gets compared to Mackenzie, or to my loss, or to my grief. It's weird, but that's how it is for me.

Basically what I wish she knew is that I would take any physical imperfection over not having Mackenzie. If Mackenzie had no ears at all, or a missing a finger, or a terrible birthmark, or was blind in one eye, etc. I'd rather give up my ears or fingers or eyesight to have her here. Hell, I'd trade my own life in a heartbeat so that she could be here with her daddy and grandparents so they wouldn't have to suffer anymore.

What I'm saying is that I don't give a rats ass about my boss' grandson's slightly bent ear. And if she'd ever experienced anything similar to what I have...what all of us have...she wouldn't give a shit either.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the physical features of our babies. I can relate so much. They were so perfect, yet not..... And only we who have birthed and held our dead, slightly decomposing infants would ever understand that. Hope had the same shaped head as Mackenzie, and many of those raw spots all over her body. Her little bum was red raw. I only looked at it once, it was too sad.
    I get you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...Sophia & Ellie are some type of benchmark in my mind. Someone talks about something, anything and I always compare it or relate it to my girls. It sucks that others are so oblivious to our pain.
    xx,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had to deal with that; it's hard when everyone around you has moved on from the tragedy and we are leaving and breathing it every second of every day. I do think she should have been more considerate. And those marks...no one should have to know them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. When someone experiences a loss of a baby, those little imperfections are not important when you're looking at the big picture. We would give anything to have our babies with us alive and well with tons of imperfections although they would be perfect in our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leila had the same shaped head too, and her skin was peeling alot... so many things happen during decomposition, but our babies are still beautiful and perfect nonetheless. why can't that woman SEE that? after all, the most important thing she's already taking for granted-that he's ALIVE.
    i commented more on my last email, so i'll not ramble here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! She complained about his ear!? I wish that's all I had to 'complain' about!!

    ReplyDelete